We have decided to move to the area that we are building in, close by to watch the build and may as well get there and get to know the area. Rachel can start her new school and get settled.
Thankfully the search for a rental was easy and we got a house pretty quick. We took a 6 month lease and will take it month by month after that if we need to. It has plenty of storage space including a double garage which is good, this means we won’t have to wait until we are in the new house before we can buy furniture. The added bonus is that it is on the street we are building, 4 doors away!! We can really watch the build process which I’m really looking forward to.
We are still waiting for the second soil test, which I hope will happen in the next week and then we should be going for council approval. My hope of an April site start is dwindling at this point but I’m still hopeful we will be in before Christmas.
The bank is really taking it’s time to sort out the mortgage, even though it was already approved it has taken almost a month for them to sort the paperwork, which is very frustrating. There’s not much we can do about it though so no point getting stressed by it…
Yesterday was our contract appointment. When they made the appointment they told us to expect to spend at least half the day there. In total we were there just under 2 hours.
It was very straight forward. As we still have to have another soil test after the demolition is complete, which is hopefully today. So the site costs have not changed, there will be a post contract variation raised if there is any changes to the site costs. I am still hoping they are reduced! I will be happy as long as they don’t increase.
We went through the entire contract and all out selections so far, there was a few mistakes, the colour of the front posts in the portico easy fix. The garage door was also not the correct door, should also be an easy fix. They still did not have our Kitchen Culture drawings, they had send them to me a few days ago but they were wrong and I was still waiting for the amended drawing. I received them this morning and all way correct.
There was an additional charge for run of electric cables over 10m that I have asked them to revise as the meter box will not be more than 10m from the electricity pit.
Other than that it was all good. We signed around 11,000 pieces of paper and we were on our way again.
Some more progress pics on our site clearance below.